With my most recent checkin the code test coverage is nearing complete enough that when I go to do the heavy refactoring I can do so without getting too nervous. Basically I have the significant pieces working as documented (mostly, some of the coercion stuff written doesn't work yet, but that can be ignored for now) and this in theory meets most of the goals outlined in the original request for comments.
Of course once you have code and a test suite you start to think about refactoring and what you can do that makes it surprisingly more useful. Even if I don't get any more functionality there's quite of bit of low hanging fruit on the refactoring list. However a few revisions ago I did the first bit of functionality breakout that would allow this role to be parameterized (or something along those lines) so that we can support ORMS other than DBIC, such as Fey or RoseDB. I don't think the actual code bit for these is hard, I think this is one of those, "writing the test cases is harder" things. But anyway, that's on my mind when I look at this code.
Of course I work release this until we fix Catalyst::Controller::ActionRole so that it support the action_args configuration option that was added a few Catalyst releases ago. And all this is making me think hard about supporting parameterized method traits on Catalyst actions. That way instead of putting all my configuration into the action_args section of the controller configuration, I'd have the choice of using a trait parameter for the cases where allowing something into configuration doesn't make sense.
If you want to poke and prod it over on github.